9 06, 2016

How do I get my Partner (or my Child’s Partner) to Sign a Prenup or Cohabitation Agreement?

By |June 9th, 2016|Categories: Agreements, FAQ Posts|0 Comments

Given the changes in the law in BC, a good cohabitation agreement (also referred to as a “cohab”) can reduce or eliminate disputes on separation. The cohab should deal with (a) who owns/owes what at the time the relationship began or the time of the agreement and the values of each asset or debt; (b)

9 06, 2016

How do I get a settlement?

By |June 9th, 2016|Categories: Agreements, Mediation, Settlements|0 Comments

If both parties want a settlement without a judge deciding for them, they must find a way to agree. First, it is helpful to know exactly what issues are agreed and which are not. For example, the parties may agree to share parenting on a week-on week-off basis, but they do not agree on the

9 06, 2016

Do I have to go to court?

By |June 9th, 2016|Categories: Agreements, Divorce lawyer, Mediation, Separation, Settlements|0 Comments

There are alternatives to going to court. Negotiation, mediation, arbitration and/or a collaborative law approach can enable the couple to resolve their separation or divorce issues without stepping foot in court. Ultimately you will need to apply to court for a divorce even if you settle all other issues by agreement (“all other issues” means