About GSadmin

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far GSadmin has created 29 blog entries.
26 08, 2016

The Case of the Child Called X: A Guide to Parental Alienation

By |August 26th, 2016|Categories: News|Tags: |0 Comments

The mother of the 16-year-old child, referred to as “X”, alleged that the father was alienating X from her. The judge heard evidence from five experts. Dr. Amy Baker The court accepted the following theories of Dr. Baker: An “alienated child” unjustifiably rejects the “disfavoured parent” and aligns with the “favoured parent”. There are five factors

26 08, 2016

Bad Call: Do Judges Misjudge?

By |August 26th, 2016|Categories: News|0 Comments

Tennis Line Judges are wrong on 10% of Close Calls “ ‘A certain number of errors are inevitable,’ says George Mather, a psychologist at the University of Sussex, UK, who analysed wrong calls in professional tennis tournaments with a mathematical model of human perception. ‘Even the best line judges are always going to make a few

26 08, 2016

Abuser v. Liar

By |August 26th, 2016|Categories: News|0 Comments

I read an article by Tom Leonard called: Who's telling the truth in Hollywood's most vicious divorce? She says he's a drug-addled abuser; he says she's a gold-digging liar. So what's the real story between Amber Heard and Johnny Depp? Though it’s an unruly title, it does reflect an unfortunate dynamic in divorce courts. Never

15 08, 2016

How Much Will It Cost?

By |August 15th, 2016|Categories: FAQ Posts, Mediation|Tags: |0 Comments

This is a question most lawyers get asked frequently. There are different approaches to billing for legal services including: hourly fees; flat fees; contingency; and value-added fees. The most common form of billing is hourly fees, which is the approach our firm takes. Hourly fees for various services are clearly set out in your retainer

12 08, 2016

Zero to Half in Under 150 Years: The Rise of “Family Property” in BC

By |August 12th, 2016|Categories: News|0 Comments

No Meaningful Ownership for Married Women Our family property law comes from the English tradition, where prior to 1870, a married woman could not own any property, including land, money or objects. Anything she owned transferred to her husband upon marriage. (She could retain title to her real estate after marriage, but her husband had

12 08, 2016

The Rules of Disengagement

By |August 12th, 2016|Categories: News, Separation, Settlements|Tags: , |0 Comments

Dealing with family breakdown can be like trying to put Europe back together after WWII. To ensure that getting your order for divorce, property division, parenting arrangements and/or support costs you less than the treaty-making process after a world war, turn to family and friends, counsellors, and spiritual advisers, and most of all turn inward

12 08, 2016

Is Doggie Divisible?

By |August 12th, 2016|Categories: News, Pets|0 Comments

When your household breaks up, what happens to the animals that share your home? To many people, a beloved cat or dog is practically no different than a person, and the thought of treating one like a lamp, couch or other chattel is just offensive. To some parting couples, the pets are their children. Though

9 06, 2016

My ex-partner is trying to kick me out of our house.

By |June 9th, 2016|Categories: Separation|0 Comments

It is usually not a good idea to leave the matrimonial home until you have met with a lawyer and understand your rights and obligations with respect to staying or going. On the other hand, in situations involving family violence, safety of the parties and other family members absolutely comes first. If you leave for

9 06, 2016

How do I get my Partner (or my Child’s Partner) to Sign a Prenup or Cohabitation Agreement?

By |June 9th, 2016|Categories: Agreements, FAQ Posts|0 Comments

Given the changes in the law in BC, a good cohabitation agreement (also referred to as a “cohab”) can reduce or eliminate disputes on separation. The cohab should deal with (a) who owns/owes what at the time the relationship began or the time of the agreement and the values of each asset or debt; (b)

9 06, 2016

Do I have to support children over 19 years old?

By |June 9th, 2016|Categories: Child Support|0 Comments

Section 3(2) of the FCSG provides that if the child is over 19 but still a “child of the marriage” in need of support: (a) the amount determined by applying the Guidelines as if the child were under 19; or (b) if the court considers that approach to be inappropriate, the amount that it considers